Friday, February 11, 2011

What To Do????

I'm so confused and torn, I don't know what to do!!!!

My favorite interior designer, Carleton Varney, will be speaking at the 2011 Bluegrass Trusts Antique & Garden Show. 

    
His mentor was Dorothy Draper who is known for her "Modern Baroque" design.  But Dorothy holds a special place in my heart because my grandmother LOVED her books.  "Decorating Is Fun" and "Entertaining is Fun".  My grandmother could never quite break away from her "antique baroque" taste. 

Anywho.  I had a few of his coffee table books when I was much younger that I loved to look at on long car rides.  I wish I had saved the books, cause now they are a bit pricey and I'm dying for them to become an exclusive member of my bookshelf.  Only the real high class and fancy books make the cut ;)


So the problem?? He is speaking on Friday, March 11th at 11:30 a.m.  And I work Monday thru Friday, 8-5 =( 
Oh, and tickets are $60 a pop.  I could get 2 of his books for that price! And who could I convince to go with me on a work day for $60?? It does include lunch.  The disappointing thing about it is that I used to be on the planning committee for the Antique and Garden Show and I got to go to all the events for 0 dinero-  I started working full-time and couldn't balance all my organizations, house keeping, and social life.  My job is always getting in the way!

OK, I'm rather down about the situation.  I did however cash out my Visa Rewards points and got a gift certificate to Amazon.  I have a gigantic "wish list" of books and CV and Dorothy Draper books take up a majority of the list. 

Why does my job have to get in the way of life's pleasures?? If you were me, what would you do??

4 comments:

Kim said...

Hi! I am a new reader to your blog! I would take the day off in March and go! Work really puts a damper on the rest of my life too..so i know how you feel, but I say go for it!

Home Is Where the Hart Is said...

CRAP! I would totally go with you...but I'm supposed to be going to WPB that day to attend a wedding shower for my BFF. I work 8-5 too...but I could put in a request to take a "long lunch." If only I didn't have this shower....ahhhhhhh! If anything changes I will let you know. :(
(BTW, you're hosting April! WHoooo!)

Alaka said...

I think you should go! I think you'll regret it if you don't and it is something you would really enjoy. Hope this helps :)

Alyssa Jones said...

do it! do it! do it!! go! go! go! i could maybe go with you!