Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Lil Hope

I have an old hope chest that my mom used to store her winter sweaters.

It's cedar on the inside and a very sturdy piece of furniture.  But the oak wood on the outside isn't my thang.

Brian wanted to put it on the curb, but I just couldn't let it go.  

I got a lil slap happy and started painting BEFORE I got a good before pic. Sorry. 







I bought the paint & primer from Home Depot.  There was NO WAY I was sanding this!!

I stapled tons and tons of cushioning to the top.  (By the way, a staple gun has probably been one of the best purchases ever).

I don't have a THANG for oak...but I have a BIG THANG for houndstooth.  I LOOOVVVEEESSS IT!

I got 2 yards of some houndstooth fabric for $10 at JoAnn's.  Stapled some more...


  And made a bench!  The pillows came from Garden Ridge for $9.99 each.  I had good intentions of making these myself.

This was the space before...


And after...
No joke, Patterson tries to get in EVERY picture I take.

Can you tell I painted the front hall as well?? I'll blog about that a lil later though.

I need a smaller, more colorful pillow to put in front of the black pillows.  Something that makes it POP!

Well thats my bench.  We love it, on a normal basis, we throw our shoes in here when company is coming over... but I accidentally locked the keys inside the chest.  Oops.

I LOOOVE comments almost as much as I LOOOVE houndstooth,  hint hint...

Oh, and I was just informed by my best friend that she reads everyone of my blog posts but she has yet to leave a comment or become a follower.  Shame on you!  (pointing my finger in the air) 

Happy Tuesday,
Joy D.

I've posted my project here, check out some other fantastic projects by others and get inspired!
Savvy Southern Style

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

standing ovation! love the transformation and what a perfect home for the new storage bench!?!

ALYSSA RAE SHEPARD said...

i vote a nice lime green = )
big kudos...nice project!

Alyssa Jones said...

ok ok...i am now a follower!! i am leaving a comment...happy now:) but awesome job!! i agree with alyssa(wow that was weird typing!lol) i think a lime green or some green would be appropriate there!! love u

Mica said...

JOY! I've never seen your blog before but just saw this on the fb homepage - great job! I love it! And very inspiring! I need to do some stuff like this around my house. Hope all is well!! :)

LHD said...

You are definitely motivating me to do some DIY projects!! Love the blog

EMILY said...

What a great entry/storage piece... and I love houndstooth too! ;)

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

What a great job on the bench!! I just love black!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I agree with you paint over the oak. That looks really good and thanks for linking to the party.

jana said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh NOW i will know what you are talking about when you say "houndstooth"!!!!

it's awesome Joy!! i love it!!